Thursday, July 24, 2008

Intro & Book #1

Hi there,

About me: I'm Diane, and my husband Brad & I live on Oahu, via Seattle. I have had the pleasure of knowing Sonya one year. I have too many hobbies. I'm not complaining; I like them all a LOT. One day, I might let go of most and get really good at one or two. I should eat less too, but I don't see that happening anytime soon either. I'm really happy to be a part of this group.

Book #1: I give it a 6 out of 10, and I'm glad to have read it, though overall it left me wanting. I would sigh and/or smile at an interestingly touching turn-of-phrase, and then I would loll along through the rest of the story, only mildly interested. I think it would be interesting for her to write short autobiographical stories. I believe she did experience some of what she writes about, but something was lost in translation. It was as if she can describe beautifully the weird visions, experiences and impulses, but they became isolated circumstance once she put them onto her characters.

I agree with a lot of what Sonya has said about July's sexuality. It felt to me as if she brought up sex to try to add impact, while at heart I think she is fearful. I don't know how some writers are so great at expressing the weirdness of sex, but July really isn't. I've tried a couple of smutty books, a la Syndey Sheldon, Judith Krantz. I couldn't stomach the one Sheldon (shudder), but if you want some GREAT smut, pick up "Scruples" by Krantz at the library. It's so awful, and SO good.

I was OFTEN delighted by her vignettes (teaching swimming classes in bowls of water in her apartment, enjoying a leisurely porch sit with a seizure victim on her shoulder), but the emotional content never quite got to me the way I kept wishing it would.

Happy to hear your thoughts. Affectionately, Diane

No comments: